It’s summer time, and who doesn’t like burgers during the summer??? Here is a healthy and delicious burger recipe (originally found here).
What you need: (makes 6 servings)
- 2 slices whole-wheat bread (minus crusts, and torn into pieces)
- 1 container white mushrooms (8 oz)
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 Tbsp coarse-grained mustard
- 1 Tbsp thyme (my substitution)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 6 whole-wheat buns, (optional)
What you do:
Place the bread into a food processor (or blender) and pulse until it’s crumb-like. Move those aside into a larger bowl.
Place the mushrooms, onion, and garlic into the food processor and make those items tiny now. Place those bits onto an oiled skillet and cook until soft. Add this to the breadcrumb bowl and let cool.
Once the other ingredients can be touched, add in the turkey,egg, mustard, thyme, salt and pepper. Mash it with you hands- it’s easier. Form this mix into patties (about 1/2 cup each).
Cook the burgers on the grill, or if you’re like me in an apartment you should get an electric grill/skillet- they’re so wonderful.
I added an avocado mayo sauce to mine (1/4 avocado, 2-3 spoonfuls of mayo, lemon juice).